When is City Hall open?

City Hall is open Monday 10:00am-4:00pm, Tuesday through Thursday from 8:00am-4:00pm and Friday 8am-12pm.  The office is also open during the lunch hour unless posted. 

*Hours are subject to change due to training, meeting, vacation, Holidays or town errands.*

City of Humboldt
201 S. Main Street
Humboldt, SD 57035-0072

Who works at City Hall?

City Finance Officer/Administrator - Nicole Baars
Office Phone 363-3789

Public Works Manager - Michael Beaner
Phone 661-5268

Natural Gas Superintendent - Eugene Betz
Phone 305-0400

Public Works Assistant - Dave Gilderhuus

Lawn Waste Site Attendant - Donald Kramer

When and where do I pay my water/sewer bill?

Water/sewer bills are due on the 15th day of each month.  You may pay your bill by dropping your payment at Humboldt City Hall or you may also mail your payment to 201 S Main St, PO Box 72, Humboldt, SD 57035. Online payments can be made through Humboldt's website. 

Meter Readings:  Humboldt has auto readers for their water meters. Gas meters are still read manually each month. The reading are typically performed by the 27th of each month. If your meter is obstructed or their are animals present around your meter preventing an accurate meter read, your reading will be estimated and applied to your account. 

How do I register to vote and where do I vote?

Voter Registration
  To determine if you are a registered voter, please contact the Minnehaha County Auditor's Office at 605-367-4220.  In addition, this office has information pertaining to precinct locations. 

Register to Vote:  For your convenience, you may register to vote at the following locations:

                                Minnehaha County Auditor's Office                               
                                Administration Building, 1st Floor
                                415 N. Dakota Avenue
                                Sioux Falls, SD  

Polling Places:  
* The polling place for all City Elections is Humboldt Community Center, 201 S Main Street.

* For General Election polling places, please contact the Minnehaha County Auditor's Office at 367-4420.

* For location of School Electionsplease contact the West Central School District at 528-3217.

Where do I apply for a dog or cat license?

You may obtain a dog or cat license at Humboldt City Hall.  (Pet licenses are required by law.)  At time of licensing, proof of current rabies vaccinations must be presented.  License fees are as $5.00 per animal per year. Chicken registration fee is $20.00 per year. NOTE:  It is unlawful to keep more than four domestic pets over the age of six months.

Is there a leash law for pets?

Yes, there is a "leash law".  It is unlawful for any person to allow any dog, cat, or other animal to run at large at any time.  The fine for an animal running at large is $50.  The fine shall be $100 for each additional offense for the same animal.   

Animals must be leashed and controlled by the person accompanying it.  Animals must be licensed each year with the city.  You must provide proof of rabies vaccination prior to the licensing of your pet.

For nuisances, where and how do I report one?

For all nuisances (weeds, junk cars, garbage, manure, noise, etc.), please report this information to the City's Finance Officer at 605-363-3789 or fill out a complaint form located in City Hall.  NOTE:  If it is an emergency, call 911.

What if a peddler comes to my home?

If a peddler/transient merchant comes to your residential home, ask to see their City of Humboldt license and their State of South Dakota license.  A peddler MUST have both of these licenses available upon request.  If they do not have the required licenses, call 911 immediately.  Also, call 911 if you ask a peddler to leave your premises and they remain on your premises.  Note:  A person selling agricultural products produced or processed in South Dakota is exempt for a peddlers license.  Charitable, educational, religious, and established routes with regular customers are also exempt.  A peddler does not need a city peddlers license for approaching commercial merchants.

Do I need a building permit for my project?

Prior to beginning a project, residents are encouraged to contact Humboldt City Hall at 363-3789 and inquire as to whether or not a building permit is needed and what fees are involved with the project.  The City requires building permits for most projects, including reshingling, residing, decks, finishing a basement, most remodeling jobs, sheds, porches, etc..  Since there is $100 fine for construction without a building permit, we strongly recommend that you contact City Hall.  In regard to electrical and plumbing inspections, it is the resident's responsibility to obtain all State required permits and inspections. 

 You do not need a building permit for the following:

-painting or wall coverings
-seasonal installation of storm windows
-replacing same size windows, doors, or garage doors
-changing carpet or floor coverings
-replacing cabinets  
-minor repairs to decks, shingles, siding (less than 1/4 of the entire area)
-replacement of toilets/shower
-replacement of gutters

You are now required to get a building permit for fences.  The city does want to review the placement of the fence with the property owner. 

Who do I call before I dig?

You must call to arrange for utility locates before you do any digging.  This should be done 48 hours in advance.  The phone number for South Dakota One Call is 1-800-781-7474 or dial 811.

Note:  Prior to installing a mailbox, the resident must contact the Humboldt Post Office at 363-3018.  Also, remember to call City Hall at 363-3789 regarding building permits.

Can I drive my golf cart or 4-wheeler on city streets?

No, you cannot drive your moped, 4-wheeler, scooter, go cart, etc. on city streets or right-of-ways, UNLESS

1)  the vehicle is licensed with the State of South Dakota;
2)  the operator has a valid driver's license; 
3)  the vehicle is insured; and 
4) all traffic regulations are followed. 

What should I do with my tree branches after a storm?

After a major storm, please place tree branches near the curb.  The city will pick up branches for two days following the storm.  In addition, residents may haul branches to the city burn pit located east of Ford Avenue on Second Street.  

When the two-day period is over, it will be the resident's responsibility to haul their tree branches to the lawn waste site as the city will NO longer pick up branches at the curb. 

The city will only pick up tree branches due to a storm.  Please do not abuse this policy by placing regular maintenance tree-trimming branches near the curb.

What can I do to help prevent West Nile virus?

The City of Humboldt is attempting to reduce and control the population of mosquitoes and your help is needed!

MOSQUITO PROOF YOUR HOME.  1) drain all standing water, even small amounts; 2) install or repair screens to keep mosquitoes outside; and 3) keep weeds and tall grass cut short.

AVOID MOSQUITO BITES.  1) apply insect repellent containing DEET (follow manufacturer's directions); 2) when possible, wear long-sleeves, long pants, and socks when outdoors; and 3) be aware and take extra care to use repellent and protective clothing during the peak mosquito hours which are between dusk and dawn.


When can I discharge fireworks?

The discharge of permissible fireworks, as defined by SDCL 34-37-5, and according to City Ordinance #5.0301, is only allowed June 27th through July 5th each day and also on December 31st from 10:00 pm until 12:00 am on January 1st.

The City Council reserves the right to ban the use of all fireworks on July 4th in the event of dry climatic conditions or other emergencies.

SDCL 34-37-5.  Permissible fireworks enumerated and described.  Permissible fireworks are consumer fireworks as enumerated in Chapter 3 of the American Pyrotechnics Association Inc., Standard 87-1, 1993 edition and that comply with labeling regulations promulgated by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CRF Title 16 - Commercial Practices Part 1507), effective January 1, 1998.

Can I burn in the city?

No.  Open burning is not allowed in the City.   

However, an outdoor contained/enclosed patio fire place is allowable.

If it snows, will I get a ticket?

Whenever there is a forecast or actual snowfall of two (2) inches or more, there shall be no parking of any car, motor vehicle, trailer, boat, camper, or other equipment on the streets or alleys until snow removal is complete. Violators will be ticketed and towed.  Towing is at the owner's expense.

Paid within 72 hours:  $50.00
Paid after 72 hours:  $75.00

Note:  The City prosecutes all unpaid tickets.